Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Reading, but not writing...

I seem to have put writing into the "I'm not sure I'll go back to that" category. I've been doing a lot of fiction reading, but no writing.

Hmmm...what's wrong with this picture? Or - is anything wrong with this picture? A great deal of advice about writing always points to "read, read, read!" Of course, it would be to my great advantage to also "write, write, write," but that hasn't been happening. My energies have been focused elsewhere lately, as I'm in a season of decision-making about other things, and I tend to prefer to 'clear my mind' (AKA avoid thinking about the decisions I need to make) by reading rather than writing.

So, what's a 'writer' to do who isn't writing? Read her genre. Read books about writing. Wait for inspiration to come along before writing (not the ideal, by any means, and not the way professional writers write, but better than nothing at this stage).

Here's one of two books I splurged on for my birthday this past week. I'm enjoying it.



New Hampshire Weddings by Rachel Hauck




Enjoy your week, and maybe you can fit in some time to relax with a good book! Maybe after you do a little writing?

No comments: