Yes, you read that correctly. I am excited about a rejection letter I received today. I'm more than excited; I'm encouraged!
Had I expected to receive a rejection letter after my submission being out for six months? No. My other rejections from the same publication came exactly at six weeks. However, this submission made it all the way to the hands of one of the editors, and the reason I'm so happy about my rejection letter is that it has a great note from the editor written on it.
She was kind enough to sandwich constructive criticism of my story in between two compliments. She began by saying that it was a "nicely written story" (yay!) and ended by saying that she like my writing style, a comment that was punctuated with an exclamation point! Yay again!
On my way to the post office this morning to pick up my mail, I planned to submit three new stories to that same publication tomorrow. I feel much better about submitting them now! :-)
I encourage you to get excited about your writing. Perhaps you already are, but if you, like me, get tired of being patient while waiting to hear back from a publication, or if you, like me, just don't want to do those rewrites as the days go quickly by, be encouraged. Are there any ideas, outlines, or stories you could work on today, even if it's just for fifteen minutes? Try it. You'll probably find that time flies by. Remember - a writer writes!
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good for you for taking such a productive response to an R! :)
Cognrats on the new job, too.
Post a Comment